Wednesday, May 2, 2012

America Vs Canada customer service

Last week I went on the school trip to Washington, and the customer service in the stores in the states blew my mind. Every store that I walked into I was greeted by friendly looking people that looked happy and willing to help. I found that the good customer service actually made you want to buy products that they had at their store. Even at Mcdonalds the employees were very friendly and even thanked us after we bought food, it sort of made me want to go back to a Mcdonalds restaurant again.

I think that the main reason that the managers enforce their employees to act in such fashion, is because of the vast amount of competition in the United States. The competition forces businesses to try to attract more customers, and one way to do that is to have good customer service. Ontario doesn't seem to have a competition that is even close to the amount of competition that the United States has, and as a result people in retail don't seem to take their jobs as seriously, and seem to be less friendly.

The Canadian government needs to allow more competition in the country, by either allowing more American companies to enter markets like the telecommunication or making laws that can help prevent oligopolies and monopolies. Stores in Canada also need to increase the effectiveness of their training programs, or enforce employees to go through more training programs, because in my experience the customer service in stores are pretty bad in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment